Wicksteed Park, who generously allow us to use their wonderful venue, is going through significant changes to enhance the whole area, so we can expect vast improvements when we are there.
For this once a year, morning event, we once again ask that you join us and put your ‘breast foot forward!’
Last year’s walk attracted over 1,700 walkers (and dogs!) Together we raised almost £50,000, which is amazing, with all funds supporting hospital projects, our holiday home and our support and therapy services.
The walk this year will take on a slightly difference stance in that you will not be required to make a crazy hat as hats (sponsored by Avon) will be given to you. This is to create a team like atmosphere and to add to this we ask that all walkers wear something pink – the crazier the better. We will have pink t-shirts on sale. Also this year we will be giving out ‘freebies’ en-route from Avon and other generous sponsors with a lovely winner’s medal presented on completion of the walk.
What you need to know ...
- The Walk is approximately 5 miles long whichever route you wish to take: 5 laps of the 1k path route or 3 of the longer lakeside route – or, you can mix them up or just do what you feel comfortable within the time allowed.
- There will be no registration on arrival.
- Late entries will be accepted on the day – marshals will be on hand to direct you to the correct area.
- Please come prepared with suitable clothing and footwear to accommodate whatever the weather may throw at us.
- All walkers will be issued with a start card which you may like to get stamped on completion of each lap. ** You will need these to obtain your free hat and medal**
- Crazy Hats merchandise + tombola will be on sale.
- Before the start of the walk, after you have parked and made yourselves comfortable, please assemble in the meeting area so that we can all join in with the popular warm up and the singing of our walk song – “You’ll Never Walk Alone”.
- Refreshments will be available on the day at various outlets around the Park.
- You will be advised where to park. As it is early summer the Park will be busy so please be aware of possible congestion at the entrance.
- There will be no parking charges. All cars must display a walking permit which we will provide with your Walk Pack.
- Dogs, on leads, are allowed. Please bring appropriate bags!
- The route (all paths) is wheelchair and buggy friendly although extreme care must be taken when crossing the railway tracks and the bridge over the lake.
- There will be ample toilet facilities including disabled and changing.
- Everything you need for the walk will be sent to you beforehand on receipt of your completed entry forms and correct fees. Please note that if entering as a team/group, the information will be sent to the lead person on the online and paper format registration form.
- The Annual Walk is a sponsored event. Sponsor forms will be sent to all registered walkers. Such forms are not available as a download.
- Ideas for fundraising and setting up you own fundraising page with either Just Giving or Virgin Money will be included in your walk pack.
- Please make sure you read and complete the entry form correctly and fill in (neatly) all areas asked for.
- If you are a UK tax payer please remember to tick the Gift Aid box so that we can claim this back from HMRC (Please remind your sponsors to fill this section in too)
- In the event of adverse weather conditions we will be advised by the Park Rangers and Wicksteed Management and may have to follow an alternative route around the Park.
- If for any reason, due to circumstances out of our control, the Walk has to be postponed, we will do our utmost to make you aware as soon as we possibly can through social media, our website, BBC radio etc.
- If this situation arises, you will be informed of a revised date. If you cannot make the revised date it is up to all entrants to notify us if they require their entry fee/s to be reimbursed.
- All walkers and dogs take part at their own risk. Crazy Hats cannot be responsible for the loss of belongings or injury, however caused. First Aid will be provided. A Risk Assessment, in conjunction with Wicksteed Park and the event, will be in place and adhered to.
- Wicksteeds have asked that NO ONE should walk on the railway tracks at any time as their trains will be in use by the general public on the day.
- The press and other media will be snapping away as you walk. Should you wish not to be in the photos it is up to each individual to make the photographers/camera person aware.
Thank you all so much for supporting this once a year event, and the charity’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Not only will you be raising important funds to help a lot of people, you will be out in the fresh air, getting exercise, having fun and meeting up with people who all understand and acknowledge why we are there.
We all know someone who has been, or who currently is affected, by breast cancer.
We look forward to meeting old friends and to meeting and making many, many new ones!